Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Last train to Narberth

On my last day with Peter Pan, I went to Easter service with my mother. We left early (right after Communion) and my mother drove me to Wynnewood station to catch the 12:01. I got to the theater at 12:30 and met Stephen Purdy, my replacement, in the pit. I showed him how to boot up the equipment and we talked through the book. Then I played the last show, talking to him all the while. Ten minutes after the show ended, I ran out of the theater to catch the 4:45.

I hugged Anne goodbye and said, "I'm off."
"I could see that from Day One."

As I was walking out, she said, "We'll be seeing you again, no doubt."
"No doubt," I replied tiredly.

Anne said to the other Anne, "Notice how excited he is."Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Scott said...

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was so undramatic as to be not worthy of comment . . .

. . . however, MARK! WOW! OOMPH! AAUGH!

- man, what an amazing scene. This is the most riveting post to date!

A day after the memorial for Dad, on Easter when we celebrate the risen son of god, man's mother takes him to a catholic church (doesn't tell us if he took the sacrament or not . . .)(was he a bit peckish? -we are left to wonder) wherin they beat the priest to the door and Mom chucks him on the train like some kind of theatre-arts commuter. (What did Mary do when Jesus went out that fateful day? What was the reading for the homily? Book of . . . Mark, MAYBE!?! The mind reels.) What was the scene on the platform? Was there steam? . . . black and white, or technicolor? Was it Bogey and Bacall or Wilder and Kahn? Not 29 minutes later, he begins to transfer the work of these last giddy weeks into new unsuspecting hands, then a bit of business and some banter, and BOOM - off into the tunnel that ends in an airport on a distant coast, surrounded by ricefields.

Funny how the train itself has 445 labeled on it. It's like a French Movie!

Drama! Power! Transformation! Apotheosis! Where are the subtitles!?!

- W - O - W - !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home